We couldn't take pictures in Westminster; my favorite part was the coronation chair. It's old, it's made of wood, which seems out of place with all the gold and ornate carvings. It also has marking and carvings in it from when school boys were being trained by monks near where the chair was kept. Even hundreds of years ago, kids liked to carve their names into things.
Can you spot the gherkin? I think we were on the boat from Westminder to the Tower at this point.
In front of the Tower Bridge. I also learned that it was believed that if you buried a virgin in a bridge, it would keep it from collapsing. They called her the fair lady. So in the lyrics, "London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady" you're singing about the tomb of a virgin dumping into the river. Morbid. I guess it's no worse than "Rock-a-bye baby".
The Tower of London. My favorite part was probably the crow story, and the jewels. Some of the crowns have 500+ carat diamonds in them. Priceless, literally.
Don't ask me why I thought this was so hilarious...the toilets in the Tower of London are nice, award-winning, even!

2 comments:
Wow toilet awards! how funny!
The Crown Jewels are one of the attractions I want to see. There is another place I would like to visit if we get to London.
I notice in an earlier blog you visited a cemetery. If you have time, you might want to visit an ancestor of mine....Benedict Arnold (Jr).
Burial: Benedict Arnold (Jr).
Saint Mary's Church and Churchyard
London, England
Plot: Crypt in the Basement
Keep the blogs coming.
Auntie Lonestar.
Post a Comment