These are all taken in Lacock, a stop on our daytrip yesterday. Yes, Kristin, I do go on a lot of trips. I am a lucky girl. Most of them are with the FSU students, one of the perks of being staff at the centre. We also went to Avebury and Salisbury. This is the first time they've done this trip, and I think they really packed too much in. It was exhausting. I would have rather done a single trip to Salisbury and had more time there (even if it meant missing out on reenacting Harry Potter movie scenes in Lacock).
The cathedral in Salisbury is remarkable, unfortunately there was scaffolding all over the exterior so there was no point taking a full photo of it from the outside.
Just to give you an idea of how ornate the exterior of the cathedral is. These are all different saints.
Pictures like this never do a place justice, but I have to try. :)
Lovely park in the middle of Salisbury. Had to take a picture because...
Right across the canal is the public library! I peeked in, it seemed like a nice place to work. I'll keep a lookout for openings.
This is part of the stone circle in Avebury. There isn't just one circle there, but a series of circles that runs in and around the town. It's one of the largest henge monuments in Europe, dating back over 5000 years. No one knows what the purpose of this henge was, some think it was for ancestor worship, others think it was for fertility rituals. One thing is for sure, sheep really like it there - plug your nose and watch your step!
You can click on the picture for a better view of the HP scenes filmed in Lacock (you can always click on photos for a larger view, if you didn't discover this on your own already).
Thank you to everyone who has been posting favorable comments about my blog. I'm glad you enjoy it, and it's comments like yours that keep me posting regularly.
Unfortunately, I have a busy schedule ahead of me and could fall behind with my postings. I leave for Paris this Saturday and return Monday night, Brighton on Tuesday, and Jameson (my boyfriend) arrives Wednesday morning. No doubt I will then spend most of my time showing him around before we leave for a weekend trip to Amsterdam next Friday. He will be here until after my parents and sisters arrive for their week long visit on August 10. Amidst all of this, I have a final due on August 8 and around 30 hours to work per week.
Of course, I always say that I will be unable to post, and yet I seem to post constantly. So we'll see what happens.
Cheers,

5 comments:
Wow it seems like your schedule is booked! You must be superwoman juggling school and fun!
P.S.I always love looking at your blog it's so interesting!!! I check it twice a day lol!
All this talk of Salisbury. Did you realize your Grandma's maiden name was Salisbury?
Dad
Kim:
Did you get to hear any music in the Salisbury Cathedral?
I weep everytime I do.
DMW
PS If not, next time you visit one of these 'cathedral towns,' please try to make time to attend an Evensong service. I guarantee you will find it worthwhile, and that you will weep because it's so spine-tinglingly beautiful.
Having never read (or seen) Harry Potter, I immediately thought "Lovecraft" when I saw your title for this post...
Anyways, your dad just informed me of this blog so I'm catching up.
Dad - I knew it sounded familiar! I thought maybe it was because I used to like Salisbury Steak TV dinners (yuck).
UM - There was music going on in the cathedral, pipe organ. I will keep an eye out for an Evensong
David - Can't believe you aren't up to date with HP! Sorry I didn't give you my blog link myself, it started out for immediate family but has grown by word of mouth. I'm afraid your blog is a lot more useful/interesting than mine...
Post a Comment