Thursday, July 10, 2008

A change in plans

After waking up and getting ready for work at 10, my roommate informs me that I'm not working until 3.

I was already up and ready to go, so I decided to go to the Tate Modern. Except I took a wrong turn, and instead of backtracking, decided I would just go to the Aquarium instead. Except the Aquarium was too crowded, so I thought I better wait to do that in the fall.

What did I end up doing? A lot of walking, and a visit to the National Portrait Gallery. I liked this one of Charles Darwin, it really seemed to me that if you were to pass him on the street, that is what you would see. I also liked the special exhibit on old Vanity Fair caricatures.

This is the last weekend I have off before I start taking weekend trips and before I have visitors, so I'm really going to try to get ahead on school work, and visit the Brodes one last time. It's hard for me to remember that I still have class, Tallahassee seems to far away. Maybe because it is?

This all means, hopefully I will not be updating, because I will be focusing on my schoolwork. We'll see how that turns out...

Also, I got asked again today who I was voting for. It's my impression that there are more people here interested in US politics than there are US citizens interested in UK politics. I would be interested to know how many Americans know who the Prime Minister is now. I also find it extremely forward that someone I don't know hears me speak, asks if I'm an American (in a way that's almost of a statement as opposed to a question), then asks who I'm voting for. Especially when I'm used to everyone being more polite than I'm used to.

Alright, back to work.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Gordon Brown...so is the "Labour" party equivalent to American democrats or is there a huge difference?

Anonymous said...

So, Kimber, who ya votin for?
S young

Kimber said...

Don't really know much about UK politics, except they like to make fun of Gordon Brown on TV and play clips of him making statements a few months ago against statements he says now.

And I'm not sure who I'm voting for yet, or if my absentee ballot will ever arrive. I hope it does, though!

Anonymous said...

Kimber, didn't mean to put you on the (political) spot. When people ask you about your vote, do they give up their opinions on American politics and the candidates? Do they comment on the fact that the US finally has a black presidential candidate? I'm just wondering if it's a big topic over there.

Keep posting those gorgeous pictures - they're great!
Susan Y

Kimber said...

No worries, Susan. And what I answered is the truth.

No one really gives their opinion, maybe because I really avoid the topic. In my experience, politics and religion don't prompt a friendly conversation. They don't really cover American politics on TV here (I'm curious as to the medium they use to get informed), but maybe they will cover it closer to the election.