Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Nevermore


Legend has it that if the ravens leave the Tower of London, the Tower and the monarchy will fall. For hundreds of years they have kept ravens here, making sure they don't leave by clipping their wings. They are reduced to hopping around and fluttering a few inches above the ground. Before you alert PETA, know that most of the ravens are previous victims of accidents and could not live outside of captivity; the rest were born inside the Tower walls.

I know what you raven fanatics are thinking, "But Kimberly, ravens mate mid-flight, so if their wings are clipped, they can't fly, and therefore can't mate". Great observation! For a long time ravens did not reproduce within the Tower walls. In the 1980s, they mysteriously found a way around this (are we really that surprised?) and the first baby raven was hatched.

The UK voted by post for the name of the baby raven, and it ended up with a name resembling one that was in the public eye during those years. Any guesses?

Ronald Raven!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Life finds a way.”
~ Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum character) in Jurassic Park
This was his response to the Jurassic Park scientist who insisted the dinosaurs could not breed due to some genetic engineering.

Go ravens!

Dad

Kimber said...

I too thought of that scene from JP! Great flick.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha (I know I'm supposed to say "lol" but the hahas are more effective). Thanks for the laughs.
SusanY