After reading a couple of comments on the previous post - I have to say that France IS a wonderful place for an American to visit.
All you need to know are these five words/phrases, and the courage to attempt to read French words - "Bonjour", "Oui", "Non", "S'il vous plait", "Merci"
You don't have to say them well. Sometimes it actually helps to say them poorly. In Russia, I reverted back to saying things poorly on occasion, because if you say things too well, they assume you are fluent, and don't speak slowly for you.
If you would like to move to the intermediate level, you can then add a few more - "Pardon", "Je ne comprends pas", "Au revoir", "Merci beaucoup"
But basically, those five will do.
I can not explain the embarrassment that I felt when I would watch Americans walk up to a French person, and speak in English as if it is a normal, acceptable thing to do.
"Hi, I want this pizza here"
"Can you tell me where the Louvre is?"
If a French person did this to me at home, I would think it was odd. If French people continuously did this to me on a daily basis, I would become annoyed, and eventually offended. I can not blame the French for doing the same.
French people were nice to me all weekend, and I think it's because of these five words. I will translate the previous sentences into what I would say using the five words.
Hi, I want this pizza here -- Bonjour, pizza jambon et fromage (or whatever the sign says on the object that you would like), s'il vous plait.
Can you tell me where the Louvre is? -- Bonjour, s'il vous plait - Louvre??? (with a confused look on your face and shrugging your shoulders like you are lost)
It's as simple as that.
It's somewhat disturbing that after four years of French in high school I still resort to these tactics; but that's another matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I could write a book about how rude Americans are in France... We saw it everyday we were there. I agree with the 5 word rule :) At times Mike and I wanted to act like we were Scandinavian, anything but American!!! The French people we met were most gracious and kind to us! Merci.
Same deal in Japan. Amazing how many tourists won't even try to use any Japanese, but rather will just make their English request both slower and louder, as if both of these things will magically make their listener fluent in English.
Bonjour, s'il vous plait - Disneyland Paris??
Papa
Parfait! :)
Tally-O I think you got it! It's amazing how little one really needs to know to communicate. Most people are scared to travel to another country due to language difference.
Mistake!
See you soon. Can't wait.
Cheers,
mama
As you know I will really enjoy practicing my "English"
Je t'aime!!!
kiki
Yes I also remember je t'aime! And ferme la porte...haha
Post a Comment