Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stratford

Rolling hills of English countryside. Complete with telephone wires.


Not much to say about Stratford, because unfortunately, we didn't spend much time there! We left early, walked through the stuff, then had to rush back to the bus to leave. My recommendation - if you're going to Stratford, don't do it in one day. I would have loved to walk around more as I'm not really a museum person and I think the "significance" of the things that I saw was wasted on me. I would have gotten more out of leisurely walking along the Avon (river) and pretending that I was Shakespeare finding inspiration for his next sonnet. But that's just me.

Some highlights:


Anne Hathaway's house. Shakepeare's wife, NOT the actor from Princess Diaries. :) That is a thatched roof.



I had bangers and mash, which you can see pictured here 3 times. It was great.



Cemetery outside the church where Shakespeare was buried. I especially liked one stone that read:



"In
Affectionate Remembrance
of
Christopher Tookey
Who departed this life,
August 5th 1881,
Aged 53 Years.
Them also which sleep in Jesus
Will God bring with him."

For some reason that tombstone really struck me, and I can't say why.



Shakespeare's grave. His grave is actually on the floor, you can't really see it...



Too beautiful to walk by without stopping.



Average road in Stratford. The town is basically three of these "big" roads running parallel to the Avon. I won't say Avon River because today I learned that in Celtic avon means river.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Briton, a Frenchman and a Russian are viewing a painting of Adam and Eve frolicking in the Garden of Eden.

"Look at their reserve, their calm," muses the Briton "They must be British."

"Nonsense," the Frenchman disagrees. "They're naked, and so beautiful. Clearly, they are French."

No clothes, no shelter," the Russian points out, "they have only an apple to eat, and they're being told this is paradise. They are Russian."

Dad

Anonymous said...

How many points is that?

Kristin said...

What exactly is "bangers and mash"????