So my Uncle Michael (entrepreneur, world traveler, and speed reader, among other things), asked if I would answer a few questions, and I decided (as he suggested) to answer them in blog form so everyone could read about it if they chose. Keep in mind I've been here about 10 days...
What's the most interesting (excluding sites, buildings, touristy things) thing you've seen so far?
When I read this question, something immediately came to mind, so while I don't know if it's what you meant, it's what I'm going to answer.
I was walking from my flat to Marylebone Train Station in the early AM on Saturday, somewhere in the proximity to Regent's Park, and while it was light out their weren't many cars or people out yet. A middle-aged man, in a uniform that suggested he was a bus driver, was standing at the bus stop doing tai chi. Slowing my pace and watching him as I walked by is only peaceful moment I've experienced here so far. I didn't come here expecting Zen, so that is what I've found the most interesting (so far). I also love the idea that a bus driver takes the bus to work.
What's the most interesting food you've eaten?
Some sort of wafer candy. Think of it as taking communion, except inside is a burst of pixie stick. What this is called, I can't say, but that's alright with me because I don't really need to try it again. Hopefully I haven't offended any religions by comparing taking communion to British candy, but that's really what it reminded me of. The more I think about it the more awful of an idea it is to keep this up...
What are your three favorite things about London so far?
EASY! In order:
1) Public Transit/ability to walk places
2) Hearing foreign languages (I've really missed that)
3) The endless options (food, drink, sites, stuff to do, people, etc.)
Least favorite?
1) Prices
2) Prices
3) Prices
I would list other things but I'm still in the stage of culture shock where almost everything is a positive.
Where, outside of London, do you plan to go in the next 90 days?
Stratford on the 8th; Avebury (Stone Circle), Lacock, and Salisbury on the 23rd; Brighton on the 29th
Meeting with STA Travel tomorrow...get back to you...I will definitely be going to Paris though, at the least.
Have you been to any non-mainstream theater yet?
No. Today I did get an extremely discounted ticket to go see Wicked, though, which I'm pretty excited about.
If anyone else has questions they would like to ask...go for it. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It sounds like you are having a great time. Keep the blogs coming.
Auntie Lonestar
Wonderful, Kimberly. We need more!
Suggestions?
1. In Salisbury, DEFINTELY go to the cathedral. And, DEFINITELY try to attend an "evensong." Their choir will make you quiver and weep, guaranteed. It's magical.
2. In Brighton, if you take the hop on/hop off bus, note the Roedean School, which is where Hannah went, just east of the town high on a ridge overlooking the artificial harbour. Can't miss it, and it's breathtaking.
DMW
Following up on your pending travels . . .
Do NOT, repeat -- do N-O-T -- go to Oxford!!!
Why?
Simply this: You will realize that it fulfills every single learning/cultural/personal vision you've ever had, and you will spend all of your time scheming on how you can live there forever and no one will ever see you again.
DMW
Will do, Uncle M, will do.
Lonestar - glad to have you on board, as always!
Post a Comment