My first day at work went well.
I love that I have a supervisor who actually explains things (finally!).
I also offered to close alone tomorrow night because my poor coworkers actually have social lives and I really don't have anything going on from 3 - 10pm (haha).
Yes, I will be alone, at night, in the basement, a few meters away from THE HAUNTED STAIRCASE. That's right, there is a haunted staircase in the building. What else would you expect from a building that's been around for over 300 years? Apparently it's haunted by "The Blue Lady" - I don't really know what that means, I'm guessing something along the lines of a woman who looks blue because she's a ghost, is dressed in blue, or is morose. I'm sorry I had to tell you this, Jessie, but don't worry, the flats where you would stay in are in a separate building.
What stinks is the other Intern hasn't arrived yet, and we have no idea when she is coming. This means instead of 4 people staffing the library there are 3. Before you say to yourself "Wow, Kimber works in the smallest library I've ever heard of" let me tell you that there is actually a law library within our library. Libraries really are everywhere!
Small libraries have perks. Because they have no choice but to give me lots of responsibility, I will get exposed to so many things than if I had worked somewhere else at FSU. After this I will have experience in cataloging, collection development, reference, IT Support, and British jargon.
My supervisor, David, is great. We went to lunch together and since his wife is from Tampa we somehow ended up talking about sports. He said he didn't enjoy going to an American football game, and instead preferred the basketball game - after that, I knew that we'd get along fine.
Boring Job Details:
Monday thru Friday I will work 10-5 or 3-10, and either way I will get a one hour lunch break.
I will be urged to go to all of the school outings (they tell me this like I would resist going, haha). There are 1-2 per week during summer, 2 every 3 weeks in the fall (though I'm sure some of those will be repeats). This is great because I get to go for free or cheaply, and I don't have to arrange anything, I just hop on the bus to Stonehenge/The Globe/wherever. Wonderful!
I don't know what kind of people they usually interview at FSU, but everyone here seems completely oblivious to the fact that this internship is the best deal on the planet. They all act like I'm doing a huge favor, when it is obviously the other way around. 1) Job experience in my field (which I up until now have not been able to find; this alone would be worth the trip); 2) References from professors and prestigious people in my college; 3) 6 months in London - FREE
While the "living stipend" is way less than I will spend, when taking into consideration the thousands of dollars saved in tuition, it really is free. This brings me to my longstanding argument that everyone should want to work for a university (perks such as free tuition), but that is for another time.
Yet another looong post. Kristin, I think you are right; I'm obviously enjoying life with a blog. Tomorrow's post - Encounter with The Blue Lady??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
It sounds like you have a super sweet deal in London. I'm very jealous. It sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, blue lady, staircase, and all.
I can't help but conjure up (forgive the pun) a visual image of the scene early in "Ghostbusters" where they encounter the old lady spirit in the basement of the library.
Prepare to be slimed!!
Dad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_7f0LBgTo
Also hopefully you can go to Wimbledon during the early rounds before tickets get scarce.
If your next post is about the blue lady then please alert me before hand.
THANKS!
Jessicuhhh
Bet you will not find many July Fourth celebrations over there.
Dad
Post a Comment