UK Cell:
07503509623
(if calling from non-UK, add +44 [Mom, skype will do this automatically when you select UK as the destination])
Mailing Address:
Kimberly Warrner
Student Residence
11A
99 Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3LA
ENGLAND
One thing that has surprised me is how close everything is. Street blocks seem to be much smaller than in other big cities I've been to, so my perception of how far things would be according to the map was way off (this wouldn't happen if I paid attention to the map scale). Ex: I thought the closest metro stop would be a 2 minute walk away, it is in reality about 40 seconds away. This is wonderful because now everything is closer to me than I previously thought.
There were so many options of where to get a cellphone (4 places were visible just from the corner of my street), so I picked the place recommended to me and got one at cell phone warehouse. Letting other people make decisions for you is much easier!
The best thing about UK (and I think European?) phones are the SIM cards. Why the US doesn't have them, I have no idea. Basically, all phones have a SIM card; think of it as the brain of your phone. Just like Jack Bauer, you can switch your SIM card and you have a whole new phone! So if I decide I don't like the plan I've picked out (I have pay-as-you-go, because I can't get anything else), I buy a new SIM card for around $5 and get something else. I now remember that this was helpful for people in Moscow who had a phone that uses a SIM card. Instead of buying a new phone, they bought a SIM card, which saved a lot of time and money. The SIM card is probably old news to most people, but I am just learning about it (hence the long paragraph). So take that, Verizon, I can not hear you now!
Mom - Great idea to bring that huge black bag and hawaii bag, they hold tons. The hawaii bag is less sturdy (but still big), so I put all my light items in there and use the black bag for the heavier stuff. This also helps guard sensitive things from getting squashed, since you have to bag your own stuff while the cashier scans and throw the item in whichever bag. Also, you will love grocery shopping here. I noticed everything is much healthier than back home. There are more whole wheat options for everything, and a significant decrease in additives, preservatives, and pesticides. No corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, MSG, etc. Also, ingredients are sometimes listed with their %, ex: in the ingredients listing on my yogurt it reads raspberry extract (3%), currant extract (2%) and so on.
I hadn't looked through the kitchen much and while making dinner today noticed that it is well stocked. My days of cooking with only a large measuring cup, fork, spoon, knife, and can opener are over! For those of you who don't know, that's literally all I take with me when I leave my parents' house. I am definitely planning on making a pie for Thanksgiving now. Or maybe to celebrate the arrival of visitors? That should entice everyone.
After unsuccessfully searching for a plant all day, I spotted this $2 basil plant at Sainsbury's and had to buy it. How long will it live? I have no idea. But it smells nice, looks nice, and is useful for the time being.
I can't wait until more people start showing up. Since I would rather not go out at night alone, I'm here doing homework and updating my blog that has an audience of 5 people. It's probable that as my social life improves (which hopefully, it will!), my posts will drastically decline. The more exciting my life gets, the less time I have to write about it. So it goes.

6 comments:
The United States has SIM cards. Verizon doesn't.
SIM cards?
I'd still be using a rotary phone if I could get away with it.
Pops
Jessie is right, USA has SIM cards so if you switch phones you can have all your old data, etc.
Also dad, if you prefer the comfort of a rotary phone but you like the convenience of a cell phone, maybe this is for you: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2005/06/portable_rotary.html
"Did I hear a 9er in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"
look kids...big ben, parliament!
AW
What kind of pie will we be having for Thanksgiving? I'm there! I especially love running around London in Pilgrim get-up -- it drives 'em nuts!
DM werner
Post a Comment