Yesterday I had the day off and made a trip out to meet the Brode Family at their home in Gerrards Cross. It's so easy to get around here - I just took the train from central London to their town, and 20 minutes later Sue picked me up at the station.
I'm probably going mess up all of the names of the places we went, because I have a terrible memory when it comes to proper nouns. The names I do remember (including people) I could also misspell so I hope I don't offend anyone.
First we walked around Gerrards Cross, and I would have to agree with Sue's perception in that it is just like Gilmore Girls. Small, quaint, old, picturesque, and (in my opinion) wonderful. There are common areas everywhere where people just hang out or bring a football (what is to us a soccer ball :) ). Throughout the day we drove through various small towns and they are all the same in those ways that I described Gerrards Cross, but different in that they all have a separate look and personality.
We went back to her house to pick up her husband Jerry and go to breakfast downtown (keep in mind that "downtown" is basically a part of one road). The Brode house has features such as a stone tile roof (complete with moss), and a giant fireplace in the living room. For those of you most impressed by big flat screen TVs (Zach? AW?), they also have one of those! My favorite part of her house would have to be the backyard which is pretty much "the secret garden". It's small but it doesn't feel small; roses everywhere, a few small ponds, plants that are landscaped but still look natural - if I wasn't allergic to it all I would really enjoy spending time back there. Maybe I could take my allergy pills and settle for an outdoor nap?
For breakfast we went to Juongs (pronounced "youngs") and had some conversation sitting outside overlooking High Street, which is sort of the equivalent of Main Street in the US.
Sue then took me to her country club, which is where they go for golf, tennis, working out, and post tennis match tea. It's basically like TCC...except not at all because it resembles a billionaire's estate. There was a wedding about to go on, and I can see why, because it seemed like the kind of place where dreams come true. Example: Sue saw Daniel Craig there. Unfortunately he wasn't working out with his shirt off during my tour.
Does this bridge look familiar to anyone? It was used in a British film.
We then went to Blackwater Park, which is where they filmed a lot of Harry Potter scenes that took place in "The Forbidden Forest". On a side note (don't worry, I'll get back to HP) people generally take their dogs around more, here, and they are BIG dogs. We saw an Irish wolfhound which could easily serve as a mode of transit for a small child.
Next we dropped the car off at her house and walked together with one of her children, Zach, to some sort of town festival day in Fulmer. Some crafts, baked goods, raffles, etc. The highlights in Fulmer, for me, were the old church and graveyard, and the Pimm's. What is Pimm's? Pay attention, Mom! Pims is a drink similar to sangria - but not as sweet and with a lighter, fresher, citrus taste. As Sue's husband Jerry said "it's refreshing". Enough said.
We all went to dinner at The Royal Standard of England - the oldest freehouse in England. I can't even begin to describe the building, I'll just post the pictures. Very British food, so I had my first real British meal of Midsomer Murder Pie (kind of like chicken pot pie but not...) complete with cabbage and chips. Zach had bangers and mash, Jerry had fish and chips, Sue had spinach and butternut squash lasagne. If it seems like I spend too much time explaining food, it's because I love eating. This is revealed in my photography; as I didn't pull my camera out for many things, I did do it for the food!
When we got back to their house I discovered that Sue had made me a birthday cake! This really touched me as I don't think that, outside of my wonderful mother, anyone has made me a birthday dessert before. I'm sure you understand, Jameson, since you fully comprehend how much I love dessert. Sugar rules my life, and that carrot cake was/is amazing (still have some in the fridge). Cancel that, no more in the fridge.
For surprise goodbye presents the Brodes gave me cake, boxes of tissues, some adapters, and an extension cord. They are moving in July and are trying to get rid of their stuff, which works out well for me. I have already used all of these things, found them all to be helpful, and am very gracious.
Today was pretty uneventful with school work and library work. I got to answer a few reference questions in the library which was a new experience. Other than that, nothing too exciting. Ok, back to the books (and by books, I mean internet reading).

2 comments:
Screw France, London looks wayyyyy cooler
How big was the TV?
AW
Post a Comment