Monday, September 8, 2008

Q&A

Answering a few questions (the easy, concise ones - to those of you who ask about things like British opinions on health care, that will take more time).

1. Are you hooked on Indian food yet? If not, why not? If yes, do you have any pointers for the uninitiated?

Yes! But it's not in my budget to eat out very often.

A tip for London eats in general - take advantage of Lunch Specials (especially takeaway [takeaway = to go]). There is a tasty South Indian restaurant next door to me called Malabar Junction, and they have a £5 lunch takeaway which easily feeds me for lunch and dinner. It's the same food, but much cheaper. Also, if it's your first time eating a certain type of food, better to not spend a bucket of money just to find out you don't like it.

For those of you who don't mind paying £20 - £30 for a meal, you can probably ignore that, and will you please come for a visit, I can think of many places I would like to eat with you.

2. Do you always look right?

Yes, but when in doubt I look down. There are many one way streets here (and crazy drivers) that you can't always be sure where the traffic is coming from. LOOK LEFT, LOOK RIGHT, or LOOK BOTH WAYS is painted on the ground anywhere you need to walk. It's claimed this is for tourists, but I see locals looking at them.



I'm proud that I no longer read the signs when I go to the grocery store, post office, etc. because I know my way around my part of town now.

3. Do you have plans to go to a professional football match? (Not going would kind of be like living in Gainesville and never seeing the Gators play!)

Sadly I almost did live in Gville for 3 years and not see a football game. No current plans. I would like to see football and cricket, though.

4. What's the most interesting part of your job? Least interesting?

Most - My "learning objective" requiring me to create a guide on genealogy resources in/around London.

Least - My "learning objective" requiring me to write a report on theft in the library (meaning...inventory of all items in the library). I haven't started this yet, but I'm speculating.

5. Has this internship made you less or more interested in the world of
library science? Why or why not? Discuss.

More. What got me interested in library science (the modern name being "information science") was the realization that while it's good to know information, it's more important to know how and where to find information, and have the skills to process and interpret information. In short, this internship has given me access to a lot of information, which only makes me want more.

6. Besides your family/boyfriend/friends/uncle, what do you miss most about America? (And, have you noticed that most people over there call it "America"?)

Yes, I've noticed that people call it "America" or "The States". You gotta be careful with this, in some countries it is seen as arrogant to say you're "from America" (and I have to agree with this, America has many countries after all). In Russia you're better off saying the equivalent of "From the USA".

I miss living on the ground floor.

I miss going to stores (Target or Publix) and throwing things in the cart, not having to think, "Can I carry all of this? Will I eat it before it expires? Is there room in the fridge? Is it raining? How long is the queue?"

I miss microwave popcorn. They have it here but I'm picky.

I miss fresh air.

Soon, I will miss the sun.

To avoid ending this post on a depressing note, I will list all of the upcoming FSU events that I will attend this semester:

Globe theater on Wednesday (The Merry Wives of Windsor)
Brighton next Monday Sept 15
Oxford and Cotswold Oct 8
Canterbury and Dover Castle Oct 29
Jack the Ripper tour Oct 31
Bath and Stonehenge Nov 14
Thanksgiving party Nov 27
Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Dec 3
Farewell Events (Fancy Dinner) Dec 10

I love love love these events. They are free, I get picked up and dropped off at my doorstep, and I go in lieu of work. I've probably said this before, but I love them so much I just have to say it again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post.
As a visitor I found those painted directional messages on the roads helpful. And those dang buses sure do like to drive a tight corner!

Dad

Kristin said...

England still sounds like a blast!!!! Such fun tidbits! But remember you wanted the advantages of a great public transportation system over a car! Instead of driving to the store you can take the tube to FRANCE!!! P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE INDIAN FOOD!

Anonymous said...

The "America" thing is tricky issue. I know many countries object to calling the USA America. In Japan, however, the country between Canada and Mexico is indeed "America" (A-MEH-REE-KA in Japanese) and I would be met by many blank looks if I referred to it as "The United States". They don't really understand the whole nation/country thing, tho to be fair, most of us don't either.

Oh, and Indian food is the best in the world! It's so hard to find real curry here...

Kimber said...

Dad, the buses DO drive a tight corner. I may have told you this already, but an FSU student was put in the hospital after getting hit with a bus's rear view mirror. He was standing on the curb!

Kristin, I love not having a car. I love trains.

David, I never completely figured out the "from US" "from America" thing in Russia. The more people I asked, the more mixed opinions I received. I eventually started avoiding the issue by saying "from Florida", because people generally knew where that was, and had a real interest in warm weather.