Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympic thoughts

Yes, Michael Phelps is an amazing athlete who will be remembered for decades to come. That is why I will not be saying anything else about him here and now.

I am addicted to the BBC's Olympic coverage. I have 4 stations on my TV, so I watch whatever plays on BBC1. Like in the US, they feature events where they have competitors, meaning I see strange and wonderful games that I never knew existed. They show swimming too - they are obsessed with Michael Phelps; their set is complete with a large cardboard cutout of the boy and they added medals to him as he won them (wow it took me 3 sentences before I talked about him).

What I most enjoy about the BBC coverage is the positive recognition they give to all the British athletes. They congratulate all of the competitors whether they get gold, silver, bronze, or 12th. Yes I saw them talk briefly about someone who placed 12th. Some of you out there with that "second place is the first loser" attitude (I won't name names) will disagree with me, but I think 12th in the world is impressive and deserving of recognition.

My favorite Olympic athlete is the swimmer Ryan Lochte. He's won a few medals, some gold, some bronze. More importantly - he swims for UF. Go Gators!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Ryan!! He's from our neighborhood, Port Orange, the next town north of New Smyrna Beach. His dad runs the aquatic program at the Port Orange Y. His dad said he drank the water over there and got Montezuma's revenge which set him back - then his suit filled with water when he dove in for one of his races - great attitude tho - and looks like he's having a great time. Phelps is an anomaly with his 5 foot long torso!
Keep those blogs and pictures coming. Susan Y

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kimby, but gotta disagree with you. This isn't the pee-wee soccer league for 8-year olds where everyone gets a trophy and a bag of fruit snacks just because they showed up and their mothers don't want junior to be disappointed.
It's called competition and the reason they keep score is so they can determine who are the winners and who gets sent home empty handed.
Welcome to Life 101.
Still, I love your posts!

Dad

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with TWW...and 12th place is the 11th loser.

It's raining a lot here.

AW

Anonymous said...

Kimber, your dad is such a republican!
Susan Y

Kimber said...

I guess when you work in sales you have to think like that. Focusing on winning 24/7 seems stressful; I'm glad that I don't have to think like that (yet).

ps - I was in pee-wee basketball once, we didn't have snacks or fake trophies, so I don't know what you mean. :)

Anonymous said...

Kimby -
As to your pee-wee basketball experience... you didn't have snacks or fake trophies as since I was your coach you didn't get the first because I didn't believe they were necessary and the second wasn't needed since you got the league champion trophy.
Funny how that worked out. Or was it?

Dad

Kimber said...

Yes Dad I remember that YOU were the coach haha. You were a great coach, I think that's why we won.

Pamela said...

No, you won because basketball runs in your veins are you are half Hoosier. Your dad is an Illini even if the tries to ignore it.
mom

Kimber said...

I have Hoosier heritage and I love watching IU...but I was born and raised in Florida and I bleed orange and blue.

However, I am not the typical gator - I will never enjoy watching American Football and March is my favorite month for a reason. :)