Friday, October 31, 2008

RIP Cassiopeia


I remember the night we got Cassie.

My parents were taking Jessica, Emily and I to a pretend destination, but we had to make a stop for Dad's work. Zach had a football game, so it was a Friday.

I thought the whole thing was strange because we were driving in the middle of nowhere in Geneva, deep in the swamplands of Florida. At that point I hadn't figured out what my dad did for a living, and was becoming uneasy. After we picked her up from the breeder, I was in shock - I never thought we would get a dog.

I sat in the back of the car with her and Dad in the Target parking lot while Mom, Jessica, and Emily, went to get necessary puppy supplies. He showed me the constellation Cassiopeia, and asked what I thought of that as a name. From that moment on, she was Cassie.

It's hard to believe that night was over 13 years ago.

Cassie was treated like a queen, but unlike her namesake, she was not vain. We related to each other - she also loved food and wasn't fond of exercise. I could always count on her to share a snack with me, and she never minded when I went back for a second one.

Often she was a slow learner, but from day one she was a master of forgiveness and unconditional love.

Goodbye, Cassie! You are missed.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

Your tribute to our baby made me cry all over again. You are a wonderful
writer. We all have wonderful memories. Cassie sure did spice up
our lives. She was the perfect dog.
Only growled once.

Keep on running!

Pamela said...

Forgot to mention that once again the constellation Cassiopea is now seen. Only can be seen in Florida in the Fall.

Nancy said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. We loved Cassie too.

Kristin said...

This is so sad! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your puppy dog! I know she had a good life since she had you, your brother, and sisters around.

Anonymous said...

I was sitting in the red chair watching TV, you guys told me to close my eyes and you put her in my lap.

She was a good dog.

AW

Kimber said...

I remember that, AW!

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing you guys in the Target parking lot that night - Cassie was so cute, and Jess, Ali and Jack were so jealous!
Susan Y