
Yesterday was another field trip day. I love field trips and don't understand why they stop after elementary school. Above is the typical building/street view of Oxford. We have had such great luck with our weather during field trips and yesterday was sunny and warm (well, warm in comparison to the past few weeks in London).

We visited the largest college in Oxford, Christ Church. This is it from the outside. The system is different in the UK, you apply to the university and apply to certain colleges. I'm not an expert on it, but I know each college has to have a church, a dormitory, and a cafeteria. It doesn't seem to compare to anything in the US, but if I had to compare it, it would be most like the greek system of fraternities and sororities, except colleges are coed (I assume?). Colleges have strengths in certain subjects, like English or Math or Medicine, but I think you can study whatever you want no matter which college you attend. Obviously I didn't listen much when our guide spoke about this.

Not a great picture, but had to post it because this is the college's quad. Also the tower is "Tom Tower" - named after the bell inside, which was over 6 feet in size, and each night at 9:05 rings 101 times in honor of the original 101 students. 9pm used to be the curfew (they adjusted the time to be exactly on schedule with Greenwich time, 9:05 in Oxford was 9:00 according to the prime meridian). I will not look back in contempt about my highschool curfews anymore.

The organist was practicing inside the church.

Students hanging out after class in their quad. In suits of course.

In Burford, this is all of their High Street. High Street = Main Street. Sue taught me that. It looks tiny but it had all of the essentials - bakery, cafe, and pub.

Sitting on a wall in Bourton-on-the-water. You can't see the water but you can see one of the tiny pedestrian bridges behind me on the left.
Our next official fieldtrip isn't until the end of October; but I hope to come up with a few of my own before then.
3 comments:
Kimber, your pictures are fabulous -I'm saving my pennies to make the trip and will use your blog as a travel guide!
Susan Y
Sounds like a wonderful field trip.
Oxford was the home of Blackwell Publishing, majority owner of InfoSource for a few years in the mid to late 1990s.
Ahhhhhhhhhh, home!
DMW
Post a Comment