Thursday, October 23, 2008

Q&A

On television are there any popular US shows?

I don't watch much TV here, and we don't get cable, but I have noticed that some US shows from back home are here - Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Gray's Anatomy, Lost, and Fraiser. The biggest difference here is that all of the new shows, while they may show a "new" episode each week, are actually 1 or more seasons behind. I don't know how well this works with viewers here, because anyone in my generation could easily get current episodes online.

They have their own versions of certain programs like Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, and The Weakest Link (I'm not sure if these were originally US programs, but they only show the UK versions here).

Also, I have never seen the Simpsons on TV here, but Simpsons merchandise is everywhere.

Any slightly revised American brands there?

KFC has to be what I've noticed most. KFC's aren't common, but you see places like "southern fried chicken" and a personal favorite, "chicken cottage". The horrible thing about these places? They don't have biscuits. Biscuits in the southern sense don't exist here (biscuits = cookies), and the closest you will ever get is a plain scone, which isn't close at all.

I’ve always heard restaurant service is poor in the UK. True?

Service varies. The service industry isn't as dependent on tipping here, so if they are having a busy day, or a bad day, or a bad hair day, it's obvious. Service at Wagamama on busy nights is awful, during down times it is pleasant. Also, I will greatly miss Wagamama when I return home.



Towards the end of my run today I decided to stop by Russell Square. I normally avoid it because many runners go there and they are constantly lapping me. Previous visitors, you may remember this small park from when you visited. UM you probably know it as well. It is one of my favorite places to go. Now it is colorful and blanketed with leaves. Today I was reminded of one of nature's most beautiful gifts, and that positives to cold weather do exist.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I hope you clomped through the
leaves. It's been 6 years now since
I've had that pleasure.

Miss you tons!

Kristin said...

I'm surprised that other shows haven't take off like Sex and the City, Family Guy, two and a half men etc. I am thankful though that the UK created the office.

Kimber said...

Sex and the City is big here, but I'm not sure about the other two.