If you asked the Queen where her home is, she would say "Windsor Castle". Apparently that's common knowledge but I didn't know until today.
In between Windsor Castle and Hampton Court I had the best eggs benedict. I don't remember if I reported about the amazing poached eggs and toast in Durham, but I'm beginning to understand that they know how to poach an egg in this country. Why did I not learn this earlier?!
There were virtually no other tourists at our destinations, which was nice. The downside was the light renovation going on at Hampton Court, but that didn't get in the way too much.
Inside the main entrance a large clock is on display. It is exquisite and old (no surprises there). It displays not only the time, but the moon phase, the zodiac calendar, the season, and of course, the sun revolving around the earth! Now that is old.
Too funny:
Dad, I thought you might like the way these trees were groomed -
I then had a chance to go through the famous hedge maze. It's possible that I pretended I was Harry Potter in the final scenes of book 4.
I love HP too much. I'm still upset they moved the next movie back just to make more money, but I digress.
The drive back from our excursions is always prime nap time, especially since it's now midnight at 4pm. When I groggily opened my eyes on the bus today, I awoke to the view from the east side of the Thames River driving towards central London. I admired a glowing Big Ben, Parliament, and London Eye. We crossed the river and continued north on Whitehall, driving past Trafalgar Square, which now displays the annual Christmas Tree given to England by Norway. We continued up Charing Cross Road, a busy street lined with book stores and music venues and packed with people of all kinds. Finally, we turned onto Great Russell Street.
I've spent most of my time in London missing home. And recently, with the days getting shorter, the weather getting nastier, and Thanksgiving coming and going, I've only been missing Florida more. Today on the bus, I realized for the first time that this city has become a good friend to me, and I will miss it.
Luckily, it didn't take a trip home to realize this, and I have 8 full days to say goodbye.

9 comments:
Okay two things....
I can't help but laugh my pants off when I look at the tree in the middle of the road. HAHAHAHHA! That is freaking hilarious.
...those tree's are cool...how they are shaped.
Ok.
Bye.
P.S. 10 days! Single digits starting in 1 hr 52 minutes!
haha did you read the whole thing, GG? 8 days.
Very cool clock. Unless pruned trees just don't look natural...TW taught me that. We are all looking forward to your return to FL!
AW
Great post.
Weather sunny and brisk in Florida. It's been a wonderful fall here.
Gramps
I will miss your blog. What will I read now. London will forever hold a special place in your heart. More so as the years pass.
Really, eldest daughter you would make an excellent travel critic.
I want to see a castle even more now!
it's interesting that dear cedric died after running through that horrid maze, but was reborn in my heart as perfect edward cullen.
p.s.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus
the quote has nothing to do with my previous thought, i just like it a lot.
I love Harry Potter
Windsor was my favorite side trip while in England... I am sad you will be leaving England... Will you continue "Life in the West End?"
I haven't thought about it. If I did continue, I would have to change the name.
Post a Comment